How can you tell if something is living? While there are over 100 characteristics of living things, the following are 8 key traits to look out for.
1. Living things are organized.
- This means that living things are made up of one or more cells.
- In more complex organisms, cells come together to make tissues, tissues come together to make organs, and organs come together to make systems.
2. Living things grow.
3. Living things reproduce.
- A simple bacterial cell, for example, makes an identical copy of itself through the process of mitosis.
- A more complex living thing such as a mammal creates a new organism through the process of sex.
4. Living things die.
5. Living things move.
6. Living things process energy.
- For example, humans eat and convert food into energy to power the body.
7. Living things get rid of waste.
- For example, mammals produce feces and expel carbon dioxide from their lungs.
8. Living things are sensitive to their environment.
- For example, some plants grow towards light.